The Department of Turkish Studies and Inner Asian Peoples of the Faculty of Oriental Studies at the University of Warsaw has the pleasure to announce The Fifth International Congress of Turkology that will take place from the 5th to the 7th September 2018 (http://orient.uw.edu.pl/the-fifth-international-congress-of-turkology/)
The main area of interest of the Fifth Congress will be the contemporary studies and research on the history, culture and the language of Turkey and Turkic peoples, as well as geographical areas inhabited by them today and in the past. The discussions will be focused on the intercultural relations among various, specified above, societies. Turkish studies are mainly associated with research on the language and literature. However, Turkologists more often than not apply in their research knowledge from various disciplines. Turkish studies, just as many human sciences and oriental studies disciplines, can be perceived as an interdisciplinary field of research. Taking into account the current world politics, the results of their research might be used in solving the current problems, especially those resulting from intercultural contacts and the conflicts that they sometimes might result in.
This year we would like to continue the discussion from the past Congresses on the development of Turkic studies and their methodology, theoretical research approaches, promotion of research results, as well as teaching Turkic languages and cultures of Turkic peoples. It is our desire to create an opportunity for the participating Turkologists to share their experiences, discuss studies-related problems and issues indirectly related to them, as well as the perspectives for the future research.
Please find below the main topics of the The Fifth International Congress of Turkology:
- History and politics
- Language and linguistics
- Traditional culture and contemporary life style
- Beliefs and religious systems
- Social problems
- Fine arts
- Research methodology and theoretical approaches within Turkic studies
- Organization and financial support for Turkic studies within international projects.
Moreover, it is planned to organize several plenary sessions as well:
- Polish emigrants and their role in the Ottoman Empire in the Tanzimat period
- The contributions of the Turks to the science and culture of the world
Languages of the Congress:
The language of the Congress is English. However, the participants can present their papers in Turkish and Russian. Please note that every session will be delivered only in one of the above mentioned languages.
Paper proposals should be sent in English, Turkish or Russian.
Papers will be presented within 15-20 minutes personally by the author and each session will end with a discussion. Persons willing to propose a thematic panel are kindly asked to make sure that they will include not less than four and no more than five participants. Application forms have been attached at the end of this Call for Papers.
Organizers plan to publish abstracts, and after the conference publish papers as a post-conference book. Devoted to the topics discussed during the Congress.
For further information please visit: http://orient.uw.edu.pl/the-fifth-international-congress-of-turkology/ .
The Congress will take place in Warsaw, in the “Stary BUW” (Old Library of the University of Warsaw), ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, Warsaw, Poland.
- Piotr Taracha, Prof. (University of Warsaw)
- Tadeusz Majda, Prof. (University of Warsaw)
- Özturk Emiroğlu, Prof. (University of Warsaw)
- Ewa Siemieniec-Gołaś, Prof. (Jagiellonian University in Kraków)
- Jerzy Tulisow, Prof. (University of Warsaw)
- Grażyna Zając, Prof. (Jagiellonian University in Kraków)
- Agata Bareja-Starzyńska, Prof. (University of Warsaw)
- Marzena Godzińska, PhD
- Kamila Barbara Stanek, PhD
- Shahla Kazimova, PhD
- Agnieszka Zastawna-Templin, PhD
- Dariusz Cichocki, M.A.
- Anna Sulimowicz, M.A.
- Nilufer Karadavut, M.A.
- Joanna Dolińska, M.A.
- Beata Kryśkiewicz, M.A.
All participants of the Congress presenting their papers alone or as co-authors are supposed to pay the full conference fee. The bank transfer costs should be covered by the participants.
|Conference fees||Until 30th June 2018||After 30th June and before 30th July 2018|
|Participants from abroad||150 EUR||200 EUR|
|Participants from Poland||350 PL||500 PLN|
The registration fee should be paid by money transfer. The bank account number will be sent to the participants together with the letter of acceptance.
- Data of the Organizer: University of Warsaw, Faculty of Oriental Studies
- Address: Krakowskie Przedmieście Str. No 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa
- Data of the Bank: Bank Millennium S.A. o/Warszaw,
- BIC/SWIFT: BIGBPLPW
- Account numer: PL 10 1160 2202 0000 0000 4989 5290
- Subject of payment: Congress of Turkology + name and family name of each participant
Please remember that every participant of the Congress who is going to present a paper alone or as a co-author is obliged to pay full registration payment – 150 euro per person. Authors shall pay the fee by 30th June 2018. The bank transfer costs should be paid by participants of the Congress. Those who fail to pay the fee will be removed from the list of speakers and will be able to take part in the Congress only as observers.
After completing the payment, please sent to the Organizers copy of the confirmation of the transaction.
With the best wishes